Saturday, March 2, 2013

Kitchen Staple: Taztziki Sauce

Tzatziki was my first culinary success. I first tried and immediately fell in obsessive love with this Mediterranean yogurt-based sauce over spring break three years ago on a trip to New York City. I - no joke - ate bowls and bowls of it at the Mediterranean restaurant at which my friends and I were eating dinner. I may or may not have taken a spoon to it at one point. That summer, I made my first batch of what is now a staple in my kitchen. The coolness of the yogurt, the crunch of cucumber, the tang of lemon, the bite of garlic and onion, and the earthiness of the dill... three years later, I still go at it with a spoon. 


This recipe is a fusion of a number of different recipes from all over the interwebs. Much of this recipe has to do with personal preference. I, for one, love love love garlic. And onion. Apparently I like being stinky. (Fun fact: Onions and garlic have long been recognized for their detoxifying and anti-inflammatory qualities, so I will gladly take the stink. Not that I needed an incentive.) So, play around with it and make it your own. This stuff is great with fresh vegetables (bell peppers are my personal fave), with pita, crackers, pretzels, on a sandwich as a healthy mayo substitue, with chicken or steak. Let's just say I slather the stuff on everything. 


Tzatziki Sauce 
//Makes: about a quart
//Total time: 30 minutes

Ingredients: 
  • 16 oz. non-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 English cucumber
  • 1 large shallot, minced
  • Juice of half a lemon
  • 1 tsp. lemon zest
  • 3-6 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1-2 tbsp. dill, fresh or dry
  • 1/2 tbsp. quality olive oil
  • Salt and pepper, to taste 

Directions:

Wash and peel the cucumber. Pat dry with a paper towel. Cut in half width-wise then again length-wise. With a spoon, scrape out seeds (leaving in the seeds makes the sauce too watery). Chop cucumber in eraser sized pieces. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow flavors to marry before eating. Enjoy!

Seriously, you will want this around at all times. It is that good.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment