Friday, March 22, 2013

Martha Stewart's Simple Waffle Recipe

It is no secret that breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. As I mature (ha), I have begun to appreciate more savory breakfast dishes. But when it comes down to it, waffles are my first and true breakfast love.
I have always depended on good ole Aunt Jemima for my waffle batter. Do not get me wrong, Aunt Jemima knows her waffles. She has never disappointed me. But pre-made waffle mix is unnecessarily expensive, and as I prepare to move to Boston and begin my life in poverty as a middle school teacher, I knew I needed a more budget friendly option.


Before this morning, I had never attempted to make waffles from scratch, so I knew I needed to call in reinforcements. Enter: Martha Stewart. Girlfriend never steers me wrong. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy these waffles were to make and how delicious they tasted. The waffles were perfectly light and fluffy and the flavor gave Aunt Jemima a run for her money. Costing a fraction of the pre-made mix, I think I have found my go-to waffle recipe.

























Martha Stewart's Homemade Waffles
//Time: 10 minutes
//Serves: 2-4 waffles, depending on waffle iron size

Ingredients: 

  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup molk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
  • Splash of vanilla extract
  • Maple syrup
Directions:

Preheat the waffle iron according to the manufacturer's directions. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, whisk milk and eggs; pour over flour mixture and whisk gently to combine, being careful not to overmix. Gently whisk in butter. Following manufacturer's directions, cook the waffles until deep brown and crisp. For standard waffle irons, pour 1/2 cup of batter into the center of the iron, allowing the batter to spread evenly across the iron. I like to pour until there are no holes. Waffle will cook in about 3 minutes. Serve warm with maple syrup. Enjoy a great start to the day!


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment